Labor pain varies from woman to woman depending on the size of the baby and the strength of the contractions. There are many types of pain relief that may work well for you personally:
- Childbirth Classes: these are classes you can sign up for that will teach you breathing techniques and how to relax.
- Pain medications: your physician may prescribe pain medications for you to use during labor
- Change positions
- Use an ice pack on your lower back
- Use tennis balls to massage tight areas
- If permitted, take a shower or bath
- Request an epidural: an epidural block is a shot given in your lower back that reduces pain and feeling in the lower half of your body. You will begins to notice pain relief 10-20 minutes after the shot has been administered.
Make sure to discuss the best method of pain relief with your doctor.